Avalon’s Governing Board
Governing Board Members volunteer their time and meet once per month. Boardsmanship requires a significant time commitment, not only in terms of meetings and related events but in preparation. Our Governing Board is a member of the Arizona Charter School Boards Association. Board Members serve the district community without pay. The Governing Board sets all District policies and has the final authority over all School District business.
The Purpose of School Governing Boards
The School Board’s fundamental role is keeping the District focused on the learning and achievement of all students.
The Governing Board accomplishes this by:
- Setting the strategic direction of the District for staff and the community.
- Listening to community input.
- Evaluating and adopting policies consistent with the District vision.
- Equitably allocating District resources based on the District’s vision and goals, and monitoring the District’s fiscal health.
- Operating openly and honestly.
- Performing regular and timely evaluations of the Superintendent’s and the District’s effectiveness.
- Representing and protecting the District’s interests at the local, state, and federal levels.
All written or electronic correspondence sent to Governing Board members or Avalon’s District staff is subject to public records requests and may be viewed by the public or media. Additionally, correspondence sent to Governing Board members are also copied to the Superintendent, the Governing Board secretary, and the District legal counsel for review, possible response, or redaction before being made available to the public or media.
The Governing Board is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, and disability. This policy will prevail in all matters concerning staff members, students, the public, educational programs and services, and individuals with whom the Governing Board does business.